History

In 2008, Mr. Bert Flier took the initiative to start a fodder and dairy farm. Mr. Flier is a business man from Barendrecht, a town in The Netherlands. During his involvement with Genesis Farm he became aware of the need of fodder for cows as well as the need of a new breed of high quality dairy cows in Ethiopia. Debre Zeit, which is located 45 km south of the capital Addis Ababa, seemed an ideal location to him. It is situated at an altitude of 1900 meters and therefore has an ideal climate for dairy cows. Another contributing factor that helped Mr. Flier decide to locate in Debre Zeit was the presence of Alema Koudijs Feed, a sister organization of De Heus, which produces concentrates for animals. In addition Holland Dairy, a milk processing plant, was able to guarantee the marketing of the milk.

The company was established in Ethiopia in June 2008 and was registered at the Ethiopian Investment Agency as Alfa Fodder and Dairy Farm PLC. The activities started in January 2009. Late February 2009, 2.7 ha of land was allocated to Alfa Farm.

After importing a number of containers, building activities began. Soon the workshop was build. Corn, used for corn silage, was grown on 30 ha in 2010. In the spring of 2010, bull calves were purchased from Southern Ethiopia to be raised on corn silage, with the idea to produce more tender meat as an alternative to the locally fattened oxen.

Cow barn and milking parlour were built in 2010 and early 2011, enabling us to import the first 25 pregnant heifers from The Netherlands in May. The breed of the animals we imported is the Holstein Frisian, because the Ethiopian Ministry of Agriculture allows this breed to be imported.

In 2010 the construction of the pig barn started. With a farrow-to-finish operation which produces around 600 feeder pigs annually, it has become an important part of Alfa Farm.